Skip to main content

Dangerous discovery: Man-eating bacteria found in raw oysters

A 71-year-old man in the US has died after eating raw oysters. This unnamed man ate raw oysters contaminated with Vibrio Vulnificus at a restaurant in Sarasota and died 2 days after being hospitalized.

Earlier this year, there was also a Texas woman who died after eating raw oysters while on vacation in Louisiana, Jeannette LeBlanc. A few days after eating she fell into a state of shortness of breath, sores and a rash that grew worse and worse, and died three weeks later.

Due to the nature of the sores caused by Vibrio infections, the bacteria are often referred to as flesh-eating bacteria. There are about 12 species of Vibrio that live in seawater or brackish water with which oysters can come into contact.

Oysters are eaten by water filtration. If the water is badly contaminated, the oysters can also become contaminated.According to the FDA, Vibrio bacteria commonly cause gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

But people with medical problems such as liver disease, diabetes, stomach disorders, or other conditions with bacterial infections have their immune systems weakened rapidly, leading to many serious complications, even death. dead.

According to the FDA, cooking temperature is the only thing that can kill Vibrio bacteria, thereby advising people to eat cooked oysters to avoid harm to health.

Eating raw oysters is also a major culprit in the spread of hepatitis A and norovirus – commonly known as stomach flu. Both infections can cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.